When installing XP on a Mac VirtualBox, pressing F8 to accept by the combination of ‘fn’ + F8. This is one little tip, but I get stuck at there for a while.
After created the virtualize of Mac OS X on my desktop, one issue is the problem of changing the resolution. Think this is because the Mac OS X isn’t sully support by the VMware, so it won’t automatically change or detect the host resolution.
The temporary and permanent method is:
Method 1: Temporary
- When OSX is booting, tap F8 to get to the boot prompt
- Type in "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" (with quotations, replacing the resolution with the resolution you want)
Method 2: Permanent
- Boot OS X
- Open the TextEdit program in the Applications folder
- With TextEdit, open the file: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
- Open the file, and add these two lines (right after the <string>Yes</string> line if you are on Tiger or <string></string> line if you are on Leopard)
- Replace the 1280x1024x32 with the resolution you want
- Then, in go to File >> Save As..
- Save the file as com.apple.Boot.plist on the Desktop (make sure the .plist part is there!)
- Navigate the the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ folder
- Drag your com.apple.Boot.plist file on the Desktop into the folder window
- When a messages appears, click Authenticate and Replace and enter your password
- You’re done! Reboot OS X to see the changes